It may only be 2nd October, but it’s unavoidable. People have started to think about the C-word. There are mince pies in the shops, decorations in the garden centres and Santa has started talking to my five year old via our Alexa. But can you think further along than that? Are you ready to start planning for 2020?
When you really start to think about next year, there are probably a few things already on your radar. Family milestones, special events and so on. But it’s also really important to take the time to start planning for 2020 in the context of your business.
Nobody wants to get to 1st January, and wonder “Now what?”.
What should you include in your 2020 planning?
Everyone’s planning methods will be a little bit different as it’s important to take an approach that works for you, your business, and your personal way of working. But there are a number of things to consider:
- Your strategy: Are you aiming for business growth in 2020? If so, what plans do you need to have in place to achieve it?
- Your team: Do you need to expand your team and your network in order to achieve your goals? How are you going to do it?
- Your financials: It’s true. Finance isn’t at the top of many people’s favourite things to do, but when you run a business, it’s fundamental. You need to take the time to consider where you have been over the last year, and what results you have achieved, and then put in place forecasts and targets for the next 12 months.
- Your resources: This is as important as the other points above. You may have the best plans in the world, but do you have the resources that you need to achieve them?
It’s not all business.
It’s true though. Planning for 2020 shouldn’t just be about your business. It’s about you, too. I’m not talking about New Year’s Resolutions (they never last) or even fad diets to prepare you for the party season. I’m talking about reviewing the last 12 months from a personal perspective. For example:
- What’s going on in your personal life, and how might that affect your business moving forward?
- Do you need to focus on creating good habits for the coming year, whether they be health, mindset or personal development-related?
- As it’s owner, what does your business need from you as we move into 2020?
- And what do you need for yourself?
Quite frankly, it’s vital to plan the time to focus on yourself as well as your professional endeavours, when you run a business,
You and your business.
However this year, we are also offering small business owners and entrepreneurs in the Twickenham area a chance to join us for You and Your Business – a one-day workshop, designed to support you with all of your preparations for the new year. It’s a day designed to support you to work on your business. Not just in it.
The event will take place at the fabulous Marriott Hotel at Twickenham Stadium, and all of the booking information can be found here. We really hope you can join us!
But if you can’t, do take the time to do some proper planning for 2020. It will have paid dividends by this time next year!